The Ministry of Tribal Affairs is the Nodal Ministry for overall policy planning and
coordination of programmes for development of STs. To this end, the Ministry has undertaken
activities that follow under the subjects allocated in the Government of India (Allocation of
Business) Rules, 1961 and amendment(s) thereafter. The subjects allocated to the Ministry of
Tribal Affairs are as follows:
It covers all tribal people and all areas with tribal population across the country.
- Social security and social insurance to the Scheduled Tribes
- Tribal Welfare: Planning, project formulation, research, evaluation, statistics and training
- Promotion and development of voluntary efforts on tribal welfare
- Development of Scheduled Tribes
- Scheduled Areas
- Monitoring of ST Welfare Grants, based on the framework and mechanism designed by NITI Ayog
- The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes
--- Commission to report on the administration of Scheduled Areas and the welfare of the
Scheduled Tribes; and
--- Issue of directions regarding the drawing up and execution of schemes essential for the
welfare of the Scheduled Tribes in any State.
- Implementation of the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 and the Scheduled Castes and the
Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, excluding administration of criminal
justice in regard to offences in so far as they relate to Scheduled Tribes.